Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Life's a little abstract

I'm in the throes of painting a new abstract. I really like abstracts but some forms of "modern art" are lost on me. I saw a life like sculptors rendition of a bicycle at an art museum. I left wondering why they didn't just bring in a bicycle. On the other hand abstract painting frees the soul. It allows you to do any damn fool thing that comes to mind and no one can criticize it. Art is in the eye of the beholder which means that any number of people are not going to like any given piece of art. Once you understand this you are free to create. If someone criticizes the work I can just dismiss it thinking they just don't get it and go on about my smug and self centered way.

One really interesting thing about abstracts is that inevitably I find that I will paint the thing one way, say horizontally and then when finished I can turn it upside down, or maybe sideways and get a whole new perspective. A fresh and new look. If you view the abstracts on my website you'll be interested to know that not one of them are presented in the mode I painted them. You frugal folk out there, think of it this way. You can buy one abstract then periodically throughout the year turn it one quarter turn and move it from room to room and you'll have a new painting each time.

I think the life would be better if we could do this. Enjoy it for a while then give it a turn and the same old stuff becomes new and fresh. Get bored, give it a turn. Whole new world. What a great idea!

Let's try this. Turn this blog upside down and see what I was really writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment