Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Joy of the Blues

I've played some kind of music since I was in my early twenties. Way back in the early seventies after a night of beers and bank shuffle board with a friend of mine, Larry "the big noise from Peoria" Landwehr, we were back at his house when he pulled a guitar out and starting singing some old country songs. I immediately knew that was something I wanted to be able to do. Larry and I started a band, along with bass player Jim Guthrie and drummer Jordan "Dad" Smith. I couldn't play yet and had never sang in front of anyone but there is nothing like the combination of youth and gall. I've played ever since.

Somewhere along the line I realized that I'd never be a guitar virtuoso so I looked for something else that I could use and found the harmonica. I aspired to play the harmonica for a long time and over a long period of time I became more proficient. Last year I was invited to come to a friends house and jam around with some other musicians and over time the blues band, Casablanca Blue, was born. The hosts, who don't play, were Teri House and Joe White. White House. Casablanca. Cute eh? Now with another guitarist, John King, in the group I'm able to really concentrate on the harp and I'm really starting to have fun with it. I feel I've grown with the instrument because of all the practice time, and finally feel comfortable with it in about any venue.

And since I am naturally lazy, it is a good instrument to carry around. After a gig I watch with sympathy as the drummer breaks all those drums down and carts them to his truck and I pocket my harmonica and shout encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment