Monday, January 11, 2010

Da Jinx

Okay, even for non football fans yesterdays playoff game between the Packers and the Cardinals had to be thrilling. It was the wildest game I've ever seen. It ended in overtime with a fumble and a Cardinal recovery that went into the end zone to win 51 - 45. A total of 96 points. My old high school basketball team couldn't score that much. Kurt Warner was amazing. He had 5 touchdown passes and only 4 incompletions. Let me repeat that. He had more touchdown passes than passes that weren't caught.

Whew! Maybe, just maybe the jinx is dead. Many of my friends, myself included have in the past considered me a jinx to the Cardinals. It seems everytime I tune in to a game, no matter how well they've been playing, as soon as my TV is recognized as being on they fumble, stumble, bumble and basically go down the toilet. So yesterday as I watched the game from the beginning I knew that my friends were praying that I had forgotten to watch. I was really worried but I had to watch. We haven't gone to the playoffs much and this was the game of the season. I had to watch. Jinx or not. Then, wow, we jumped out to a big lead. We played amazing football and somewhere at the point that we were 21 points ahead I called my friend Charlie to crow that the jinx was dead! DEAD, DEAD DEAD!

I hung up the phone and the Packers scored 21 points to tie the game with less than two minutes left. Okay, not to panic, even as the bile rose to the back of my throat. I knew that Warner would get us down the field. And then Neal Rackers, the kicker and one of my favorite players and one of the best kickers I've ever seen would win the game with a field goal with two seconds left. As predicted Warned roared down the field and with just a few seconds left Rackers lined up for a 3o some yard chip shot.

He missed. HE MISSED THE @#&&%** CHIP SHOT!!

My neighbors heard my wailing from a block away. THE JINX! THE JINX! THE JINX!

Then we won it in overtime.

I think the jinx is just wounded.

1 comment:

  1. Don't take their almost loss too personally. If our defense could have held them back we wouldn't have needed that kick in order to win the game. That was an all offense game and defense was no where to be found on either side! Such a great game!

    ReplyDelete