Thursday, November 12, 2009

Did You See The Asassination On TV Last Night?

It's not often that you are watching live television and see an actual murder right before your eyes. That's the way it was last night while Carol and I were watching the Country Music Awards. That's when we witnessed an entire genre of music murdered in a hail of Taylor Swift awards. It might have lived if not for the last kill shot. She won for "Entertainer of the Year". In the catagory with such immensly talented people like singer, writer and great guitarist Brad Paisley, singer, writer and great guitarist Keith Urban, ledgendary talents Reba McIntire and George Strait. Entertainer of the Year mind you. The only problem with all this is she suffers from the Brittany Spears desease. She can't sing. She does write her own songs but you have to have the mentallity of a twelve year old to really enjoy them. I don't know who votes for these things but it must be the people that stare at the naked King and proclaim his new "garments" to be wonderful because everyone else is doing so.

Now, I know, you think I'm just being an old curmudeon. Not so. When LeeAnn Rimes debuted at age 15 I recognized a wonderful God given voice and was an immediate fan. Tanya Tucker was twelve when Delta Dawn became a hit. Really a great country voice. I'm not picking on poor little Taylor. I'm sure she is a wonderful girl and works very hard to please her handlers but........she can't sing. Not in the quality that deserves national attention.

Well there it is. Country music is officially dead. It was badly wounded when Kenny Chesney won Entertainer of the Year, but I hear some people are actually entertained by him. I'm entertained by the amazement I feel when I hear him and wonder what in the world people see in the guy.

I grew up listening to the rock station WLS out of Chicago but when I started learning to play the guitar I became a fan of country music. As a fan I would like to offer my deepest condolances to Brad and Keith and Reba and George. It must have been awful sitting there watching that little girl win and wondering - just what in the world do people want?

No comments:

Post a Comment