Monday, November 16, 2009

Commercials - Don't you love'm

Advertising agencies must think we Americans are simple minded folk. I was watching TV the other day when I saw a commercial depicting a couple on a date and the poor guy had heartburn. Ruined the date. But, after a good dose of the miracle antacid the next thing you know they were walking down the aisle. So, I'm wondering, you think that guy would have taken the medicine if he'd known what the end result would be. Talk about a short engagement. And, what's up with the erectile dysfunction ads. Good Lord. First of all, like yeast infections it is something I don't really want to think about and besides if I had that condition for over four hours I'd be calling my buddies to brag.

Sometimes I'm dismayed by the lack of information some young people have unless they got it from the Internet. In other words no one under thirty watches the evening news the way I used to watch Cronkite. But, I understand why. The "major" news programs don't go after the youngsters. Watch and notice the ads that pay for the program. Every one of them is targeting seniors. No beer commercials, no i-pod or computer game commercials. Just how to color your hair to hide the gray. That and the aforementioned commercials. The other thing I can complain about is the volume of the commercials. I'll be watching a soft spoken CSI or something, hanging on every word then go to commercial and be blasted out of my chair by screaming high volume "buy me" stuff.

My wife hollers from the other room, "Turn that down! Are you deaf?"

Well yeah, maybe a little but it's not my fault, it's those danged commercials.

2 comments:

  1. The generation under 30 Gen Y - does not watch commercials because we skip right over them. (DVR, TIVO).

    We do not watch the evning news because it is depressing on how much congress is wasting to make the US even more in debt to China.

    We choose to avoid the nightly news for shows that make us laugh and brighten up our day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Moneywinks Amen! Gotta love that TIVO!

    ReplyDelete