Friday, August 14, 2009

The Average Boy

In my senior year of high school I was dating a girl that was on the yearbook committee. Senior year was when the cool pictures were made and a side quote was inserted to express just how cool each student was. "He will go far" or "The world is her oyster". Since I was dating the girl that was choosing these epitaphs I had high expectations. I opened my new yearbook with great anticipation to read "he takes his greatest joy from being an average boy!" I was crushed. Needless to say the romance waned after that. I was too average for her.

Now, some 45 years later I have come to accept the fact that she indeed got it right. I have lived a full life that is firmly entrenched in the middle class. I have found over the years that my thoughts and opinions while seemingly unique to me were actually shared by millions of Americans. I now embrace the fact that I am indeed the average American. My life style is average, my income is average and my business is as middle class average as a business can get.

I have to make clear that while I am completely average this does not apply to my wife or any personal family member (cya).

So I've started this blog to share some very average, very middle class, very American observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment