Thursday, August 20, 2009

Aardvark and turtle eggs

Am I the only one that ever wondered why we humans, no matter where in the globe, generally find only 4 1/2 species of animal on our plates at supper. Cows, pigs, chickens, fish (I'm including crustaceans like lobster and shrimp) and the 1/2 is lamb. We don't really eat sheep as such. Think about it. All those other animals out there, roaming around completely safe because they never end up in soup. Now I'm not talking about indigenous tribes in the Amazon that eat monkey, I'm talking about what you will find on the restaurant menu. Restaurants in China or Japan or Thailand or Brazil or Canada or Mexico or Ireland or Europe. Cows, pigs, chickens, fish and lamb. It must really suck to be them. Imagine coming out of your mother's womb and you look up and see a cow. You think, Oh crap! How did that happen?

Think about it. Horses are in abundance, especially here in the west. What about gophers? In my Dad's day they hunted rabbits and squirrels to put on the table but not so much today. Wouldn't rabbits be easy to raise in quantity? After all they multiply like...uh, rabbits. Okay, this'll start an uproar. What about cats? Lots of those around. An elephant could feed a family of four for a month. Twelve elephants a year and you've ended world hunger. There are hundreds of coyotes out in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve. Fix'm up for the St Vincent DePaul soup kitchen. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

I love bacon and eggs for breakfast. A little sliced pig and depending on your point of view either the pre-chicken or the end result of chicken (pun intended). But why just chicken eggs. Lot's of species lay eggs. Turtles, birds, snakes. How about fish eggs for breakfast. Caviar and coffee, yum! I don't know, I'm just saying maybe we should expand our horizons. What would you like to see on your plate?

I have to stop now, the waitress is interrupting. She's asking if I want my raccoon crispy and my swan eggs over medium.

1 comment: