Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Oh Christmas tree Oh Christmas tree, wherefore art thou?

All I can say is WOW! Me and millions of Americans, and for that matter, billions across the world have been suffering the worst economic times since my Mother was fifteen years old. Small businesses have especially been hit. Mortgage companies and real estate companies have disappeared. The car manufacturers have had to be on the public dole to survive, and the gap between the rich and the poor has become evermore wide.

And I have watched all this up close and personal but I have never seen what I saw today. Carol and I went out to buy our Christmas tree (I'm old fashioned and refuse to buy a fake tree, I don't care the economics - fake smells like fake) and since the Home Depot is just a half mile from our office off we go on our lunch hour full of the Christmas spirit.

They had four trees. Four. At least they looked suspiciously like trees. The kid on the lot said he hoped they'd get another shipment. Off we went to the other Home Depot (they've had really good prices the last couple of years). We didn't even have to get out of the car. Their tree corral had two raggedy trees leaning against the fence. Home Depot, no trees.
We had seen a tree lot on Seventh Street and Thunderbird Road. Off we go, The Christmas spirit diminishing. Before we reached the lot two under insured beaters pulled in front of me causing me to have to brake suddenly. The Christmas spirit took another hit. At the lot they had a few trees. Not a lot but some. And boy were they proud of them. $10 a foot. $80 for a decent tree. Thanks but I'd spent all my Christmas spirit driving over.

No trees. Usually I'm the guy like Charlie Brown that on Christmas eve feels sorry for all the trees that didn't get a home. This year I won't have to worry. No trees. Thank you God for letting me make it through this year.

Oh, we finally took a poor ragged Douglas fir that was left over at Fry's. It has a home.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you made that tree feel special in it's own way! Love it!

    ReplyDelete