Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lightning Strikes

I happened to catch Brooks and Dunn on the Today show this morning where they announced they were taking a break from each other and it got me to thinking about just who lightning strikes. What I mean is that there are entertainers out there that reach unbelievable heights of fame and wealth for reasons I don't understand except to just say that God's fortunate finger touches some people. Kix Brooks was a failing country singer in Nashville when a producer saw Ronnie Dunn sing with a great voice and the stage personality of a post. Hence the great idea of coupling the energetic Brooks with the immovable Dunn. All Kix had to do was show up and jump around the stage and run up and down and pretend sometimes to be singing along with Ronnie. Millions of albums, millions of dollars. God's fortunate finger rested on Kix Brooks.

Who else?

Okay, this is going to get me into trouble. Probably the greatest example of God's fortunate finger is a country singer with a mediocre voice who watched Chris Ledoux swing out onto stage on a rope to the thunderous approval of the audience and decided then and there that the stage show is the thing and it doesn't matter that your voice is no match for the greats. God's fortunate finger touched Garth Brooks and he outsold Elvis. I'll admit he is a great entertainer, but still a mediocre singer. Come on, put his voice against George Jones or Waylon or Cash.

In the literary world I see that Dan Brown has a new book coming. You might remember Dan, he wrote the DaVinci Code. One of the more amateurishly written books to ever become popular. I mean this guy couldn't write his way out of a paper bag. Without the Jesus and Mary Magdalene had babies hook, which energized the ire of the Christian community and thusly gained an ungodly amount of free publicity, the book should have been laughed out of the publishers office. I saw Elmore Leonard, who I have mentioned more than once in my blogs, on the Charlie Rose show. He was asked about the writing ability of Dan Brown. He could only politely grimace. Dan Brown has made millions and with the new book stands to make many more. I fear it is the Emperors new clothes. If the media jumps on the bandwagon the masses will follow. J. K. Rowling almost makes this list but at least she can write a little. I only read the first Harry Potter and it was a cute kids story, but I can't see it deserving the adulation it received. Maybe it was God's knuckle that touched that one.

The other guy I think of is Kristian Bush who joins Jennifer Nettles in Sugarland. Another guy that jumps around to energize the show, unfortunately for him Ms. Nettles has her own energy and I wonder how long it will be before he is jettisoned. I hope never, I do admire loyalty.

Now this interesting premise; how about in your work place. Have you ever known someone with mediocre or at least just reasonable ability touched by God's fortunate finger. When I had my Insurance Agency a peer of mine had the Wisconsin territory. A good guy, but not special and the territory was okay but not a gold mine. Lots of competition. Suddenly the State of Wisconsin did something no other state would do. They actually endorsed our product as the one to buy. For the next five years all he had to do was have enough people to answer the constantly ringing phones. He was rich overnight while the rest of us salesmen still had to go out and beat the bush.

Oh yeah, I like doing it the hard way! Oh yeah, I'm a big believer in hard work! Oh yeah, honest, intelligent effort is always rewarded (unless it's in this economy). Oh Yeah.

Please God reach down and touch me on my slightly balding head.

No comments:

Post a Comment